Friday 8 May 2009

Gooseberry and Blackcurrant bushes


Last spring we planted in some gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes; they were intermittantly devastated by caterpillars over the summer months, and a couple, if not all of the plant we thought had died. But, here this spring they have produced fresh, green-faced leaves and are growing with a new found zeal. They probably would have been bigger and thicker had they not suffered from being eaten so much last summer, but this summer they will be protected with netting to keep those scalliwag creatures at bay and the plants growing vigorously into the future.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I planted a blackberry bush a couple of years ago. My wife dropped a huge rock on it last month while she was tidying the garden. I think I managed to save most of it.

    Thanks for all your cob oven advice. I've more or less finished it now and am just waiting for it to dry. Hopefully that won't take too long as I'm itching to start using it! I'd say the finished product cost me around 15,000 yen in sand and bricks. And the oven itself around 7-8 hours work (by myself!)

    Cheers,

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s I've put a few pictures on my blog.

    ReplyDelete