Saturday 4 April 2009

Mange Tout Flower and Pods


Here is a photo of the mange tout growing in the garden. They were sown directly into the ground at the recommended distance in autumn, now they are a dense growing foliage covered in blossoms and swelling pods, also sporting leaf minor. The pods taste deliciously sweet without being overly sweet and crunchy, easy to snap off and munch in the garden as you pass. This is the first time I have grown mange tout, previously having grown sugar snap peas, but mange tout taste better to my mind.

2 comments:

  1. These look lovely. We have this purple flowered variety too - they are so pretty. We haven't yet eaten any pods, but some should be ready in the next few days. I'm surprised yours are further ahead than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I cannot recall exactly when they were sown and transplanted, but it was sometime in the autumn. They are indeed very pretty to look at, and extremely delicious. I am not sure how long they are supposed to provide edible pods though, they have been yielding a harvest way beyond estimation, since the date of this posting. Also, my daughter simply picks and eats the pods from the plants, which is a source of joy to me. We talk and smile and laugh about this together. I hope your pods will be as successful as these, if not more so.
    I sowed another batch of seeds a few weeks ago, intending to plant them out hoping for an early summer harvest, but am unsure if this plan will succeed or not. The above plants will stop producing sometime soon probably..

    ReplyDelete